And the road goes on forever...

Saturday, January 7, 2023

My Winter's Work

 

We’re enjoying above average temperatures in Wisconsin so far this fall and winter, other than a bad bout of minus temps for about a week awhile back. The snow hasn’t been too bad either. Both Marc and I have been keeping busy with our hobbies; his in the basement doing woodwork and mine in the sewing room continuing to produce things for the humane society auction coming up in February. Our winters are pretty quiet for the most part and spent close to home, dodging the public and not getting sick. 

I do a combination of mainly bookmarks and various sized art quilts, using both fabric and sometimes felt and wool. I’m not at all precise or precious about what I do, but they do seem to appeal to folks offering a sort of primitive, rustic charm. I know for sure I wouldn’t have the patience for real quilting like my mother and Marc’s mom used to produce.

These are just some samples; I've made many more!











Marc started off making salt and pepper boxes for a friend and his sister, then graduated to doing some cutting boards. The last attempt was the one he did for us for the RV and I think it turned out spectacular! He’s now building bird houses and toothpick holders for the shelter auction as well.



 

There will be another vaccination clinic at the shelter (offered to the public at cut-rate prices) at the end of January which I will help with and then the auction in late February but after that it will likely be June before I participate in much more for them. June is rummage month and I should be able to spare a couple days to make the trip down from the Northwoods to help set up or cover one day of the sale.

That’s all for now!