And the road goes on forever...

Sunday, May 17, 2009

On the Coast, Spring Sprung Today


Today was one of those gloriously warm, mild days that we get so few of in a year we can count them on less than two hands. The coast is a riot of color right now with the profusion of witches broom, azaleas, rhododendrons and lilacs, casting vibrant almost florescent colors into the starkly blue sky. As if that isn’t enough, all the trees suddenly popped with blossoms and green. Even the seagulls are procreating right now!






Florence, another two towns north on Hwy. 101 is holding their Rhododendron Festival this weekend so I took a drive up to see what it was all about. I never knew: it’s a big biker fest; there must have been 10,000 motorcycles in town, or buzzing both ways on Hwy. 101, setting the air abuzz with their loud mufflers since most were of the Harley type. I wandered on my own eying the carnival set up on the waterfront, past the vendor area with the obligatory tie dyed T shirts and handmade macramé jewelry. Who said the hippies disappeared in the ‘70’s?





Families were out having fun; of course the biker babes and dudes were having way too much fun, but since I was alone I just wandered. Up some blocks, over some other blocks, down another couple blocks and back to my car. Alone, it was only a crowded…letdown.

Back in Coos Bay the day was too pretty to waste inside so I visited Bastendorff Beach, which had more people and dogs on it than I’ve ever seen. Give people a Saturday and shirt sleeve weather and they come out in hoards. Where are they during the week when it is so cold and blustery I have this place virtually to myself?